Bonjour my bohemians! Ever since I finished my Skincare Bible series (not read it? go read that first, I promise you will find it helpful), I have been getting requests from people to do a post on some of my favourite products, so here you have it.
Now before I go into the details of these products keep in mind my skin type. I am normal/combination in skin type. For the most part I have been lucky that my skin is extremely resilient and not at all sensitive. I can really put it through the ringer and it still seems to treat me nicely, thanks skin! That being said, like everyone I have some skin concerns. My major concern is keeping my skin bright and glowing. Because of my darker complexion and high cell turnover rate, if I don’t take certain measures my skin can look dull and lifeless and let’s be honest, that is never cute.I also used to have quite small breakouts in my mid to late teens that presented itself on my skin more like texture rather than obvious acne breakouts. Lastly, even though my skin is pretty normal (with some oil production in my T-zone) I find water strips my skin of all it’s moisture, so after I was my face or have a shower I like a decent moisturiser. I advise you consider all these things before you add the products below in your own regimen.
Himalaya Herbals is a brand that was introduced to me during my yearly vacations to India. My Aunty noticed the texture like breakouts I was having and suggested I try a few products and thus my addiction to the line was born. Himalaya uses pharmaceutical grade Ayurvedic products. While it is not 100% natural or organic, all their active ingredients have herbal origins. Below are a few of my favourites that I use on a regular basis to keep my skin clear, clean and bright! While I use a number of other products, these are the ones I use specifically to keep any small breakouts at bay. Just know I am not acne prone by any means, but this routine minimises those smaller breakouts we all get and nips any that do manage to come through in the bud!
Purifying Neem Face Wash
This is my everyday face wash. It is a gel texture and leaves my skin feeling clean and fresh! It is for all skin types and I promise even if you’re not acne prone and have drier skin, it won’t dry your skin out. I tend to use this at night as I use a scrub in my morning shower.
- Neem Oil and Neem leaves are excellent skin care ingredients. The oil relieves dry skin and soothes itchiness, redness and irritation. It also improves general skin health and immunity, combating bacterial infections such as acne, boils and ulcers. Its antimicrobial properties help heal wounds without causing any infections or septic conditions. For acne, Neem tackles bacteria from the root and prevents the recurrence of pimples and blemishes.
- Turmeric has been used as an antiseptic for centuries, and it is regarded as one of nature’s most powerful healers. The herb helps to even out your skin tone and color, making it an excellent ingredient in a face wash. It also helps to retain the skin’s elasticity and makes it supple. Turmeric also contains strong anti-inflammatory properties, which soothe your skin.
Purifying Neem Scrub
I find to keep my skin bright I need to exfoliate every other day, if not daily. Because of this I need a gentle, moisturising scrub that still does the job. I have found that in this product. It is a cream consistency with obvious grit to it from the apricot granules which gently but effectively exfoliate my dead skin, revealing fresh, bright, new skin underneath.
- Neem see above
- Apricot is known for its revitalizing and hydrating properties, which makes it an excellent addition to your skincare routine. Beta-carotene in apricots acts as a moisturizing agent, which brings out your skin’s natural glow.
Refreshing and Clarifying Toner
I know I said at some point in my Skin Bible that toner was not a necessary step in skincare and I stand by that. However, I love a good toner just to refresh my skin. This one works great when transferred into a spray bottle and spritzed on the face through the day! It is alcohol free which is a big win for me in the toner department!
- Citrus Limon is an effective cleanser, which removes dead skin cells and impurities, leaving your skin supple, smooth and fresh.
- Lentil deep cleanses pores and gives your skin back its lost nutrients like protein.
- Boerhavia Root controls excess oil secretion to leave your skin clear, soft and radiant.
Neem Face Pack
This is my HOLY GRAIL face mask! One of the first products from this brand I ever used and I haven’t ever looked back. I use this religiously once a week (and get called a witch by my boyfriend). It prevents pimples, removes pimples and makes my skin glow. You can use it as a spot treatment too!
- Neem see above
- Turmeric see above
- Fuller’s Earth is primarily used to lighten the skin. It has cooling and anti-inflammatory properties that remove deep-seated dirt and skin pollutants.
My miracle in a tube! I cannot live without this product! It gets rid of bumps, breakouts, blackheads and texture overnight! My skin freaks out on me when I travel and because this is so effective and small it makes for the perfect travel essential.
Lentil’s astringent, cooling and anti-inflammatory properties help in reducing inflammation associated with acne.
Silk Cotton Tree extracts have astringent and cooling properties, which are beneficial in treating acne and skin eruptions.
Alum is an effective astringent, styptic and antiseptic. It is beneficial in superficial infections, prickly heat, acne and ulcers.
Barbados Aloe possesses emollient, astringent, cooling and healing properties and is widely used in creams, lotions and shampoos. It is effective in treating skin disorders such as acne, sunburns, bruises and dermatitis.
Five-Leaved Chaste Tree has anti-inflammatory, antibacterial and antifungal properties. It is useful in treating sores and skin infections.
There you go! My Himalaya Herbals skincare 101. It is a super affordable brand (you can get almost everything for under $10AUD) and can be purchased online from a variety of websites if you live in Australia. I have tried about 6 other products from Himalaya and have not been disappointed by any so I would definitely give this brand a try!
xox your local bohemian